Welcome to Rabble Rouser
Too many companies in the north export their creative work from our northern communities and down to large cities which means those dollars aren't being kept in the community. It's not a great look for northern businesses who claim to be "local" while local artists, some graduating out of our own local art school, aren't always able to get local work.
Rabble Rouser is the community platform to change all that. We're not news, we're not a magazine (yet!), and we're not your average website.
The goal of Folk Woman Publishing and the Rabble Rouser Collective is to bring local folks together so that northern businesses, communications companies, and local creatives can cooperatively show the rest of British Columbia that...
the north has a distinct voice that cannot be replaced.
Okay, but what is Rabble Rouser?
A Cooperative of Contributors (aka creatives, writers, makers, disabled artists, administrators, labourers, professionals, etc.)
who want to contribute to our community but cannot always fulfil the traditional roles of standard employment.
We hope to make free content, paid content, products by contributors and local creators, as well as books and other services.
Think of us as the "Etsy" or "Patreon" for northern BC AND we're still trying to:
- Collaborate content from gun-shy creatives who've been turned down hard by local publishers, media companies, and businesses who are still struggling to find their voice.
- Create and establish a cooperative operation model, a round/return economy style, resources and needs-based programming for our community with supportive products to support the financial operation of the model.
- Attune businesses to the opportunities in working with special-needs, neurodiversity, or who need to be in more creative control (aka a Collaborator rather than a contractual designer.)
- Create an intake system so that Amanda can focus more on training, publishing and her own creative pursuits.
"I've lived in a lot of communities," says Publisher and Facilitator Amanda Ramsay. "In every single one of them there are amazing human beings that have potential, they have strengths and weaknesses they're capable of. They have decades of experience already working and yet they cannot find employment or forms of subsistence in their own communities because of a multitude of reasons as complex as our universe."
"This is an injustice - that this community and our society at large only measure people by their contribution to our GDP. Because of this systemic belief and other assumptions, more people die everyday because of mental illness, addiction and other issues which are not deemed worthy of our time or attention as media consumers."
"Instead, complaints about this town's "rabble" make editorial copy and radio time, furthering divisions between haves and have-nots, and continues carving chasms of ignorance, prejudice and further resentment into all sides."
"This project supports people in all varieties of imperfection. The north lacks choices for disabled, neurodiverse or exceptional people in the north, so I've been working on changing that. Rabble Rouser is a group of people who have so far said they want 'In' on changing the world."
To Do Still...
- Register as a non-profit (final details to be had at the first Annual General Meeting - date TBA).
- Begin the process of teaching and sharing the skill of developing an entrepreneurial online niche model for the development of passive income for makers.
- Create a charter and vision as a group (are you interested in group policy?) We need a group to take this on in the coming year following the guidelines in our first AGM.
- Send Acknowledgement & Invitations to local Indigenous: first our local Ts'msyen Nations and all present Indigenous-based representative groups in town, then expanding outwards.
- Continue intake for Rabble Rouser Collective: Contributors, Sponsors, Collaborators, etc.
- Assist and foster the creation of a cooperative housing society (Folk Living) in the north: Feasibility, Inclusion, & Needs. (Coming Soon.)
- Share invitations to community members via interactive and legitimate platforms such as through community boards, non-profit and community organizations, members of the community at large, business owners and local communications companies.
Rabble Rouser is a platform for those who feel like Rabble in their own communities.
For example, people with disabilities may not be comfortable or capable of working a straight eight hour shift at a standard employment gig. Another example would be that reemployment programming and funding often assumes that those without jobs are able-bodied, young of age, or low in responsibilities and these things are far from the truth about poverty in rural and northern Canada, including BC.
For example, the primary population that makes up the largest percentage of poverty in Canada and Northern BC, are young families and single parent households. When families struggle there can be lasting effects on children which means the future of our communities are in jeopardy!
There are many ways to contribute to our communities, society and earn an income. What Rabble Rouser seeks to do is create a cooperative and coordinated agency that not only represents diverse artists, makers and collaborators in the north, but also offers our services at standard agency prices or in exchange for in-lieu services & credits to local companies, businesses and entrepreneurs. With the rising rate of unemployment, many good folks are beginning to see what the Rabble in their communities have been saying all along: we are equal, we have dignity, and we will contribute.
- Each living being has inherent dignity and deserves respect, space and time.
- Each person can uniquely contribute to society if society is capable of recognizing that person's worth.
- Each action or habit we have can build or tear down and the choice is individual.
- If it takes a village to raise a child, then it takes an industry to foster an employee.
- Fear, personal or social, is best handled as a group with patience, reason and self-awareness.
- Reconciliation is the act of allowing a person space and time to tell their story the way they choose to tell it.
- Justice is about restoring harmony to as many as possible, not laying blame, counting costs or comparing wounds, it's about moving forward together despite the pain with hope and faith that coordinated and together we will be stronger than any of us can be alone.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for diverse types of creators and contributors. We have folks who only want to volunteer to put up posters for us and we have contributors who can't stop making things.
One contributor we can explore together is Jenna Medeiros:
Jenna is a contributor who loves astrology and wants to share it with her community.
What does Jenna do?
You can learn more about Jenna's particulars on her Contributor Page Here. Her current contribution is writing astrology. It takes research, writing, editing and formatting on Jenna's part to prepare her copy. Jenna will write whatever she is comfortable writing and sharing with her community, like a blog. What she will be able to offer is her services as she becomes more confidant and supported among her community. Further, with the protection of a professional publisher who is both editor and agency-style representative for her, she can focus on just growing as an artist and not get side-tracked by the business end of it such as liability, designing content to go with her copy, nor formatting and posting online.
Rabble Rouser is her digital workspace where she does what she's great at.
Here she has peers who love to design digital content to match her copy, promote her work on social media and help her plan for growth based on her natural skills and desire to contribute. As she changes and grows as a person, her curiosities will likely be shared and her journey may sound familiar among her community.
Soon, we hope to launch Jenna's special line of products and services including Natal Chart Readings, which are the position of the solar system at the time of your birth in relation to earth and your lifetime. These are personal services that Jenna would like to share with folks in our area and as fellow Rabble, we think she should go for it!
How does Jenna Benefit?
Jenna gets to target her community directly in her own voice, with her own skill, research and support from that same community. Rabble Rouser is facilitated by Amanda Ramsay who gets to know local contributors one-on-one and finds out what their goals are. After this, in cooperation with their goals and the current market and demands, the contributor and Amanda sit down to hammer out a detailed entrepreneurial plan for their success as a contributor in their chosen skill, product or service.
How does Jenna Profit?
Jenna will write and gain a reputation. That reputation will be hers to control and augment as she decided to participate or not. If she requests design help for her content, then she receives these services free from the cooperative. As the cooperative grows in number and representatives and the reputation of the collective increases, then so too does Jenna. She can now begin to offer services to online patrons once we pick up regular subscribers, she will begin getting paid a percentage of everything she helps with in direct proportion to the amount of labour and income she provided.
Over time, whether she wants to develop a full time business or keep blogging as a side hustle, she will be able to sell directly to the Rabble Rouser Audience, work with Rabble Rouser Contributors, and benefit from any shared resources that we develop. The remaining details will be privately between the contributors and their decisions about how to share with each other as well. (ore info to come after our first AGM)
Will you be our next contributor?
Want to help but not much of a maker, creative or contributor?
Subscriptions to our free email newsletters are the best way to stay informed.
You can choose which to subscribe to and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.
Emails will never be more than weekly but we are only sending out monthly email updates at the moment.
You don't have to have money. to help, just heart. We hate asking for money, it makes everyone feel icky but we have bills to pay and bellies to fill.
If you would like to support the efforts of Rabble Rouser and the contributors who are currently all volunteering their time and efforts, then please make a commitment to help out in one of the following ways:
- Share the results of your work or creativity by becoming a contributor
- Share your skills or abilities directly, teach them, or trade in kind and become a partner or collaborator
- Finally, the dreaded ask: you could donate, make a recurring donation, or offer to sponsor part of our programming or project direction
These ways of supporting us sound complicated, but they aren't. Read more about getting involved HERE.
We require a few KEY Partnerships, Collaborations and Sponsorships
Could it be you?
We still require the following and plan on sending out invitations to request expressions of interest from local and regional businesses, community organizations, societies & nations that could certainly benefit from local creatives, local perspectives and local voices:
- Coming Soon!
- Coming Soon!
- Coming Soon!
Seriously exciting news with a link coming to this spot soon!